Cool Season Gardener: Extend the Harvest, Plan Ahead, and Grow Vegetables Year Round
Gardeners in cool, maritime climates can grow food year-round, and my new book Cool Season Gardener will show you how.
* Season extension tools and techniques
* Proper timing for sowing, transplanting and succession planting
* Best varieties for cool-season plantings
* Vegetables that you can “overwinter”
* How to sustainably keep your soil in production year-round
* DIY building plans for cold frames, cloches and more, with illustrations by Susie Thorness
To put your own food on the table through the holidays and keep your green thumb active, take your edible growing to the next level with Cool Season Gardener.
ORDER TODAY: Skipstone/Mountaineers Books (publisher) | Indie Bound (support local bookstores!) | Barnes & Noble | Amazon.com
Edible Heirlooms: Heritage Vegetables for the Maritime Garden
“Along comes Bill Thorness, beautifully encouraging gardeners to take their edibles to the next level.” — Jill Lightner, Edible Seattle
Edible Heirlooms offers history, growing tips and variety descriptions for more than 100 varieties of 26 of the most common home garden vegetables. Also in the book:
- History of the heirloom vegetable and seed-saving movemen
- Advice on year-round gardening and season-extending methods
- Ways to share the experience: host a seed exchange, create a community garden
- Tips on saving your own seed to grow again or pass on to the next generation
- An extensive list of heirloom seed sources and seed-saving organizations
The book includes beautiful color illustrations by Susie Thorness.
Biking Puget Sound: 50 Rides from Olympia to the San Juans
“If the Cascade Bicycle Club published cycling guidebooks, this would be at the top of the list.” — Chuck Ayers, former executive director, Cascade Bicycle Club
Biking Puget Sound, from Mountaineers Books and now in its 4th printing, offers up-to-date maps, turn-by-turn directions and elevation profiles for easy day cycling in:
- Cascade foothills
- Kitsap Peninsula
- Olympic Peninsula
- Whidbey Island
- San Juan Islands
- Eight Western Washington counties
Biking Puget Sound includes fun rides for people of all abilities, whether you like to ride urban, suburban or rural routes.